Holding nothing back…

Post-hysterectomy update

Posted on: September 13, 2008

I’m actually doing pretty well, much better than I had expected after surgery.  Today has actually been the worst day so far.  I’m more sore today than  have been since Wednesday (the day the surgery was actually performed).

We got to the hospital at 7:30 Wednesday morning, went back to the pre-op area, and did a lot of waiting.  They did all the pre-op blood tests, put in the IV (have I ever said how much I HATE IV’s???), etc.  My doctor had a surgery in front of me, but apparently it went well because she was ready for me about 20 minutes earlier than expected.  She came in and talked to me and hubby for a few minutes.  I remember them coming in and giving me the “happy meds” and making hubby go out to the waiting area, but don’t remember much of anything else.  I certainly don’t remember being given the meds to actually put me to sleep, but that’s how it is supposed to be.  LOL

The next thing I remember is being in recovery, and asking the nurse for something to eat (I hadn’t eaten or drank anything since the night before).  I was in a regular room before noon, but I couldn’t tell you what time for sure.  It was in time for me to get lunch though.  Sometime around 7pm, I started to run a fever and they really didn’t want to let me go home because of it.  I had been having hot flashes all afternoon (not abnormal for me, actually), so I was reasonably sure they were the reason for the 100.1 degree temp and not an infection.  I finally talked them into letting me go on home despite the low-grade temp because I knew I would relax and recover better at home than up there.  The bed was ridiculously hard (I actually sleep on a feather mattress at home), the “pillows” were MAYBE 2 inches thick so NO neck support, and every time I would start to doze off someone would come in and wake me up.  They didn’t like letting me go home, but since my temp was below 101 they did with the warning to keep an eye on my temp and bring me back up to the hospital IMMEDIATELY if my temp hit or went above 101.

Once I got home, my temp started falling.  30 minutes after I got home it was 99.7, and by midnight it was 98.9 and has been a perfect 98.6 since.

The bleeding has been really REALLY nominal.  Just a little bit of spotting Wednesday and Thursday.  Yesterday and today it has been practically nonexistent!  I was expecting at least a week or two of light bleeding to spotting, and it has been this little bit nothing.

So all in all, I’m doing a lot better than I expected even if I’m not 100%.  I’m still taking it easy because it does still hurt to bend, twist, stoop, etc., and standing or walking for too long hurts.  I figure I’ll be back to normal before too very much longer, but am trying really hard not to push it and end up hurting myself and prolonging my recovery.


1 Response to "Post-hysterectomy update"

Hey D! Glad to hear that things are going well after your surgery. I should have called to see how you were but you know how things go. I’m sorry, I forgot. But I’m glad I found your blog (quite by accident really when I saw it at The Denim Jumper that I was checking out). Let me know if you need anything.

Terry (A.J.’s mom)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: